YDTRC serves as an intermediary for the Hamden Youth Advisory Council (HYAC) in their work to prevent underage drinking throughout Hamden, CT. As a B.E.S.T. practices in prevention grantee, YDTRC receives funding from the State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) to provide technical assistance, training, evaluation, and resources. YDTRC helps to identify and secure local and statewide resources including The Governor’s Prevention Partnership, The Multicultural Leadership Institute, and The Connecticut Clearinghouse.
Positive Choices Campaign
The Hamden Positive Choices Campaign, is an initiative of the HYAC focused on reaching youth and parents in Hamden.
The social media campaign encourages youth and educates parents to make Positive Choices for a lifestyle free from the influence of alcohol and drugs.
Hamden’s work is part of a statewide initiative reaching over 30 communities. YDTRC serves as the technical assistance partner in the design, planning, implementation, and evaluation of this major prevention initiative.
YDTRC’s multi-year capacity building actions include:
- Surveying youth at Hamden Middle School and High School
- Supporting youth leadership activities that engage and educate peers and families
- Reaching parents through Parent Advocates at middle school and high school
- Educating community members with newsletters, social media, and school/town events
- Documenting and reporting results and accomplishments